Family portraits are great – they help you create and remember fond memories of your loving family. However, this day can be very full of stress, and we want to ensure this doesn’t happen. If you’re stressed it will show, and we want your photos to be carefree. Here are some stress relieving tips you can use on picture day to help you relax:
- Take some deep breaths. Deep breathing is a common relaxation method. It can quickly calm your stress level and you can do it anywhere. Breathe in through your nose and exhale through your mouth, counting slowly in your head while letting it all out.
- Laugh. Laughter is a great stress relieving method and way to release tension. It will also help your family relax to get some genuine smiles. Have everyone pretend to laugh and they will feel so ridiculous that they will actually laugh. This will ease everyone into relaxation mode.
- Count down slowly (in your head) from 10. Take a deep breath between each number. If you’re still feeling super stressed, start the process over, back at 10.
- Distract yourself. If your family isn’t cooperating and you are getting stressed, suggest that we play a game or take a walk. This will let some of the energy out and also give us some good interacting photos. Prior to your session, think of a short game that your family would enjoy – it could be something like duck, duck, goose, or dancing to head, shoulders, knees, and toes, etc.
You can also distract yourself by going to your ‘happy place.’ Try to take yourself out of the situation you’re in and let your mind wander.
- Trace your hand. Take your finger and trace a figure eight on the palm of your opposite hand. This helps in stress releiving and muscle tension.
- Give lots of XOXOs. Not only will these make for cute poses, but one of the most effective ways to relieve stress is to hug someone or to kiss them. Gather your family in a big group hug, or give your husband a kiss and let your worries melt away.
The main thing to remember is relax and have fun. Your session is all about capturing you and your family’s personality, characteristics, and love for each other. Attend the pre-consultation with your photographer and together you can customize your one-of-a-kind session for images and memories that will last for generations!
If you or someone you know is looking for artistic, boutique portraiture, please contact us today for your customized session!
Dazzling Light Photography | 512.508.9067 | DazzlingLightPhoto.com