Kids are completely unpredictable. They can be so adorable and easy going and laughing uncontrollably one minute, and the next minute, turn that charm off completely.
They will typically smile for you all day long until you put them in front of a camera, then they freeze up like a deer in headlights. We want to avoid the gritted teeth and bug-eyed forced smiles during our session.
Here are some things you can do:
- Make a list of things that your child thinks are funny and send it to us prior to the session. This way, we can be prepared and add these things into our bag of tricks.
- Also give us a list of icebreakers for your child. Tell us the kinds of shows they watch, music they listen to, friends’ names, favorite story, etc. This will give us something to talk to them about, and will help them forget they’re in front of the camera.
- Practice phrases at home to see which ones evoke the best smile from your child. (Please, oh please, avoid “Say cheese!” unless that really works for you child.) We recommend making this into a game during the session – “What word rhymes with Cheese? Fleas…. Bees….Knees!”
- Try out a couple of jokes with them. During the session, we can ask them to tell us a joke and this will typically loosen them up as they tell it to us.
- If there is a song that your child loves, load it up to your phone and bring it along with you, or be prepared to sing it for them during the session.
- Prepare a bribe (such as a toy, a trip to the zoo, etc.) and show it to them, or remind them of it, during the session.
The most important thing to remember is let your kid be a kid! We will play and have fun while at the session – the perfect thing to capture their personality and smile. For more tips and ideas, subscribe to our blog today!
If you or someone you know is looking for artistic, boutique portraiture, please contact us for your customized session!
Dazzling Light Photography | 512.508.9067 | DazzlingLightPhoto.com